Old St. Andrews Episcopal Church
2604 Ashley River Road
Charleston, South Carolina
This historic "Chapel of Ease" is the oldest church building in the Carolinas and Georgia. The church's cruciform arms and chancel were added in 1723. In anticipation of the 300th anniversary in 2006, the church undertook an extensive period restoration. The valley rafters at the cross aisle were in structural failure requiring significant shorring and a challenging replacement of these members. The historic mahogany rearedos has been repaired and the gold leaf lettering of the tablets restored.