c. 1897, altered 1935
Yemassee, South Carolina
The current Victorian structure now known as Bonny Hall replaced a Federal style plantation house burned in 1875. In 1935, Under the ownership of publisher Nelson Doubleday and his wife Ellen, the house underwent significant alterations and nearly doubled in size. Doubleday hired the firm of Simons and Lapham, who added the two-story flankers, altered the interior layout and converted the style to colonial revival.
Recent work included repairing the original slate roof, replacing modern windows, restoring historic windows, and repairing wood detailing and shutters.