48 Elizabeth Street
Charleston, South Carolina
This museum house, owned by Historic Charleston Foundation, reflects three distinct periods of architectural design. Its original Adam style features were extensively modified in 1836 in the Greek Revival style. An art gallery addition in 1858 brought a Victorian influence to the house. The property includes an extensive collection of outbuildings including the original carriage house, stable, kitchen building, slave quarters and privy. The house was owned by William Aiken, Jr, who became governor of South Carolina. With the help of a Save America's Treasures grant, a complete restoration of the exterior of the house was undertaken in 2006. The period of interpretation dates to the third major building campaign, circa 1858-1870.