51 East Bay Street
Charleston, South Carolina
Built in 1802, this 21,000 square foot house and outbuilding sat vacant for eight years. Attempts to convert the house into condominiums proved unsuccessful, and the house was purchased in 1993 for a single family residence. Two and a half years of work restored the main house, installed a new kitchen in the old kitchen building, and adapted the old carriage house and stable building into guest quarters and an indoor pool. Work on the main house included restoration of the ornamental plaster and composition ornament as well as the mahogany doors and exterior iron work. This project represents the first collaborative effort with Reggie Gibson Architect.